31 Albany Street, Dunedin North
Dunedin Repertory Society Incorporated (fully voluntary society with charitable status)
Refurbishment cost estimate
$4.6 million, based on QS estimate of concept plans.
- Children’s Theatre – school holiday productions featuring young people on and behind the stage, enjoyed by the city’s littlest audiences. Affordable to participate in and attend,the Playhouse Children’s Theatre has been the “grass roots” of Dunedin’s theatre eco-system for nearly 50 years. It is highly valued by the community, as evidenced by feasibility study consultation.
- Other Repertory Society theatre productions
- Available as an affordable hire venue (has hosted theatre performances, music, improv, comedy and festival performances, both local and touring)
Building Condition and challenges
- General ageing
- Fallen out of step with various modern standards
- Environmental (cold, damp)
- Poor accessibility
- Limited theatre tech equipment
- A new roof in 2021 bought time, but full refurbishment is required for the long term
Status of Refurb Planning
- Feasibility study completed Dec 2021, funded by the Lotteries Community Facilities Fund
- Feasibility study included extensive consultation with the Playhouse community and the wider performing arts sector. This showed strong support for the Children’s Theatre as well as the potential of the Playhouse as a venue. Considerable appetite to use the Playhouse if current challenges with the building could be addressed.
- Concept sketches and QS estimate complete for a refurbishment which would see the 1960s extension demolished and rebuilt, freeing up space in the front of the heritage building to address accessibility and improve circulation spaces. Click here to see the concept sketches.
- Consultant team identified for next stage of design, ready to apply for Resource Consent.